Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Those Drums


One of the biggest attractions of the annual Missouri Botanical Garden's Japanese Festival are the Osuwa Taiko drummers. Hundreds of people sit outside to listen to their rhythms as they athletically pound their drums. These shots hopefully convey the kinetic nature of their performances. 


I love it, and could listen to live Taiko for hours, even in the blistering St. Louis heat. My affinity for it probably comes from my history as a band geek. I was a field commander for our high school marching band many years ago (and a starting varsity football player -- figure that one out) and my favorite part of that experience was the drum cadence. Taiko drums have that same feel to me. 


-Vince

1 comment:

  1. Uh, you went to a small school so you could do football and band.

    I love big drums!

    ReplyDelete