Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Loaf of Bread, a Container of Milk, and a Stick of Butter


On Monday the snow had stopped but the temperature was hovering around 0 °F. Despite the cold I needed to get out of the house and walked local Schnucks grocery store to check out the storm-related damage to inventory. For the most part Schnucks had been prepared but the onslaught of people getting ready for the storm. The exceptions, unsurprisingly, were white bread and eggs. 

I had left for the store under the pretext that I was preparing for an impromptu dinner with our vegan neighbors. I bought some collards at the store and made a black bean stew and fried okra to go with them. Why I really went to the store though was to stock up on microwave pork rinds. This is a product that was new to me and had recently shown up in this particular Shnucks and this particular Shnucks only. If you like pork rinds, microwave pork rinds are a revelation of flavor and texture, If you don't like pork rinds, well, there's no helping you. 




2 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! Sesame Street reference!

    Amazing how ransacked the shelves are-do people not keep any foods in their homes these days? I mean we're trying to eat down some things but we could easily get by on two or three weeks with no groceries (though we'd run out of produce and be eating a lot of meat and processed stuff by the end.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. White bread, eggs and chicken were the only items that were ransacked. I could have had all the crusty European bread I wanted.

    This storm was apparently a 20-year storm. It shut the city down for two days and left the side-streets a mess for the remainder of the work week (no money to plow them). Rain yesterday, and a high of 43 today and I think it will be back to a normal blah StL January.

    ReplyDelete