Thursday, January 16, 2014

Craft Store on a Corner


I grew up in a household with my mom and three sisters and am now married to a crafty woman. Despite my best efforts I've been inside a few craft stores. Craft stores have a unique smell that I couldn't identify until Katie brought home some eucalyptus branches and put a few in simmering water. Bingo, craft stores smell like eucalyptus. It is a pleasant smell but its a smell associated with memories of me staring at a wall of buttons while the women in my life poured over sumtinorother that I had zero interest in. If your bored enough you can count buttons to pass the time.

This urn at the corner of Truman and Park reeks of eucalyptus and craft stores. It's, uh, an interesting photo that begs me to study it if not appreciate it for its beauty. 


4 comments:

  1. So that's what you would do with your time...

    I don't think I've been in a craft store since before Christmas 2012 when I got some things framed for Brian.

    It's an interesting composition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The urn is interesting. A block away starts a very nice gentrified neighborhood, but It's fair to say that they neighborhood at this intersection is not so nice. The urn is just kind of there, with no landscaping or any kind of matching structure around it. It stands out as you drive by it, and I find it fascinating, endearing even, that somebody cares enough about it to keep it stocked with somewhat fresh dried vegetation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we spent far more time in home improvement stores than we did in craft stores, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You remember your struggles more than your indulgences, at home improvement stores I had lighting fixtures and grills I could focus on.

    ReplyDelete