Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Totem Animal


If my family had a totem animal surely it would be a chicken. My mother, who wasn't particularly fond of chickens, was given chicken-related gifts every Christmas and on most birthdays. I don't know why or when the practice began but there was an impressive amount of chicken-themed paraphernalia in the house when we were growing up. 

The most infamous piece of chicken junk in the collection is a plastic rooster named Bart. Bart was given to my mother by an uncle with an accompanying scrapbook detailing Bart's travels. Twenty years later this chintzy lawn ornament still makes it on vacations and into family wedding photos. Sadly, Bart is better traveled than me. 

The photo above is graffiti from the flood wall. I chose it for it's chicken-ness and bright colors. 

1 comment:

  1. It's because of the chicken in a basket soup tureen she got as a wedding gift. She hated it and let everyone know it so then they all said, "Fine, you're getting chickens for all gift-giving occasions."

    ReplyDelete